How to start a flower shop
Deciding to start a flower shop is one of the important decisions that you make. So congratulations, for making that important step towards becoming a successful florist. One thing you ought to know is that starting your own flower shop is not easy. You have to be committed to the process if you want to be successful. There are a few considerations that you will have to make before you start a shop. You would be surprised at the level of advise you can get from an existing florist business. As long as you are not in the same town; they are generally happy to give you some tips
Factors to consider
- Location; in any business, the location you choose plays a vital role in determining the number of customers you will get. The florist shop that has a high visibility gets more customers than the rest. You need to carefully consider the place you will set up your shop.
- Types of flowers; the type of flowers you are going to sell is important. As you know, there are different flowers that are suitable for different occasions.
- Cost; you will have to calculate the amount of money required to set up the shop. When calculating the cost you have to factor in the mode of advertisement you will use, legal fees and also the property ownership cost (that is if you will buy the premises)
- License of operation; almost all states require one to obtain a business permit before starting a business. Having a business license will also help your customers to trust you.
- Advertisement channels; there are different channels that you can use to advertise your business. The social media is one of the best platforms followed by the print media. To increase your presence on the business arena, you need to create a website that will enable people to view your products easily.
- Equipment that you will use; before starting a flower shop it is important to consider the equipment. The flower shop will need equipment like; flower refrigerator, vases, packaging materials, delivery vans etc.
Tips of starting a flower shop
- Educate yourself; it is next to impossible to succeed in anything that you know nothing about. It is highly recommended that you learn about flowers before you decide to sell them. You can also try to improve your arrangement. You can take a course to help you learn about caring for flowers and how to create beautiful bouquet of flowers.
- Choose your market wisely; there are different markets that you can focus on. Different markets offer profit returns.
- Create a powerful business plan; a business plan is the blueprint of your business. It will give future investors information concerning your shop. In your business plan you should include the anticipated revenue and expenses. You should include the number of employees, if any that you hope to employ.
- Choose a good advertising strategy; as new business owner, you will need to advertise extensively if you want to gain customers. Remember that different marketing strategies bring different results.
- Get a business insurance; you need to research on the different insurance policies that can protect your business.
Here’s a video that teaches you how to arrange flowers: