Are you a basketball player who is looking to increase his jump height? Ask around and most probably you will be advised to do squats with weights so that you body gets accustomed to jumping with more weight, and when you do it without the weight you would be able to jump higher. However there are other ways that you could try as well. Some of these methods are described below.
Why the need to increase the jump?
If you are a basketball player/fan and think that you need to improve your jump because otherwise you are not good enough to play then you are wrong. The ability to dunk the ball is a great advantage to have in the game, but if you can’t dunk then it doesn’t mean that you can’t play. Although being a driver is really cool but shooters are just as important in the game as a driver. In fact more points are scored by shooters during the game.
How to improve the jump?
If you are not convinced with the above reasoning and still want to improve your jump then here are some methods that you can rely on.
- Lateral jumps are a great way to increase your jump
- Toe Raises are yet another method you can use. The best thing about this method is that you can do it anywhere. All you have to do is stand on an edge and then raise up onto the tips of your toes and then back down. Repeat this again and again.
- Calf raises are also another method that you can use.
- Use the jump rope. You might be thinking how will this help me? When you use the jump rope, you perform jumps without bending your knees. Jumping without bending the knees will strengthen your calves and that will allow you to jump higher.
- Similarly you can also do box jumps. In box jumps you jump from a small height to the ground and then quickly rebound back.
It’s important that you realize that all these exercises are designed to help you, but they will take their due course of time. You cannot expect them to show immediate results. However if you work at them hard enough then you will definitely be rewarded. Many thanks to LiveStrong!